Who we are
Our mission: to connect everyone, everywhere to their world.
TerreStar was founded in 2008 by the creators of Fido (Microcell) who turned the dream of democratizing Canadian wireless into an everyday reality.
Then, backed by a seasoned leadership team, they broadened their horizons and began charting the future of Canadian telecommunications with the launch of Strigo in 2020.
Today, at TerreStar, we’re developing revolutionary new technologies to enable seamless direct-to-mobile satellite communications for everyday devices and the IoT.
More than ever, thanks to our open network technology, we’re ready to work hand in hand with leading mobile network operators and committed partners to extend ground networks and bring connectivity to life.
With our geostationary satellite, ground infrastructures and spectrum licences in hand, we’re set to provide ubiquitous, reliable coverage to everyone, all across this vast country of ours.
And we won’t stop there.
To support the vision of “everywhere in Canada” TerreStar acquired:
- A geostationary satellite asset (Echostar T1)
- Canadian mobile satellite licences in the 2 GHz frequency band
- Canadian satellite ground network infrastructure
Our shareholders have significant global wireless and satellite communications holdings and experience. They include DISH Network (DISH), a Fortune 250 company, through a wholly-owned subsidiary; and Fortress Investment Group, a global investment manager, as a financial sponsor.
TerreStar is unique
- Our satellite licence allows for the reuse of spectrum on the ground with cellular service, thus optimizing the network coverage with the satellite and network capacity with the latest cellular technologies.
- We are the only company in Canada with activities in the satellite and cellular business.
- We use an agile and open business model based on connecting experts and delivering services through combined technologies and collaborative partnership agreements.