Manager, Market Intelligence
The Manager of Market Intelligence is responsible for broad market research and analysis to support new and ongoing initiatives from different groups within the organization. She/he is responsible for defining, monitoring and analyzing the macro trends impacting the satellite and mobile telecommunication industries and the competitive landscapes where Terrestar Solutions operates.
She/He is accountable for defining and developing the tools and frameworks required to gather, store and analyze competitive information and to drive actionable insights from the intelligence obtained. She/He strongly adheres to and promotes throughout the organization Strigo’s vision of using working environment 2.0 tools, social media technologies and processes to optimize customer experience and drive business development efficiency.
Job Level and Scope
The Manager of Market Intelligence reports to the VP of Business Development and is a key member of a cross-functional team (marketing, product management, engineering, care, network operations, program management) that is jointly responsible for building Strigo’s client base across Canada. The successful candidate is a primary reference for customer behavior modeling and industry value chain mapping for extracting strategic insights and implications.
As an energetic and engaged leader with strong communication skills, the candidate adheres to the Company’s promise to connect “Everyone Everywhere” and is an ambassador of our core values: Solidarity, Accessibility and Determination.
Excellent communicator in both English and French the incumbent delivers inspirational, persuasive, factual messages to a broad range of stakeholders. Her/His mastery of market segmentation and business intelligence methodologies as well as management processes in the telecom/satcom sectors is a real asset to the organization.
Functions and Responsibilities
Market research and data analytics
- Develops and deploys tools and processes to collect competitive intelligence.
- Conducts extensive qualitative and quantitative analyses to convert data into actionable insights and identify value-creating opportunities.
- Supports strategic planning by facilitating discussions with key stakeholders to ensure data driven outcomes.
- Is an authority on business analytics and an organizational reference for descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytics.
Support product development roadmap
- Works closely with the Product team to define and prioritize the product roadmap providing insights into current and future market dynamics.
- Develops top-down approaches to quantify markets on verticals of interest and support demand model creation.
- Influences the organization to steer towards projects and strategies that ensure long-term value creation and sustainability.
Support to sales and customer experience
- Works closely with Business Development teams to gather customer feedback and convert it into short- and long-term actionable insights closing the loop with the product development function.
- Develops frameworks to understand the segments of interest and to develop segment-tailored sales and communication strategies.
- Supports data analysis and intelligence gathering as required.
- The Manager of Market Intelligence leads by example and expertise influencing team vision, behavior, productivity, and professionalism.
- The position has no direct reports at the time of writing but requires working as a partner with Strigo team members and external partners to support a decision-making approach based on supported facts and sound reasoning.
- The incumbent is fully accountable for business intelligence management goals and action plan delivery as well as related financial aspects (revenue, margins).
- The incumbent is fully accountable for driving the Business Intelligence Unit’s growth and is a key contributor to the future project roadmap.
- Advises/recommends strategies that adhere to TSI’s core values and strategic priorities to ensure sustainable long-term success.
- Drives the intelligence gathering methodology and framework and based on information gathered and deep data analysis, provides clear recommendations.
- Drives cross-functional best practices in data gathering, structuring and analysis.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or related business degree – or combination of applicable education and experience. MBA is an asset.
- Five+ years of business/market/product development/strategy/business intelligence.
- Expert knowledge in the telecom/ISP/satcom market(s) to consumers (B2C) and enterprises (B2B).
- Competent with the Microsoft Office 365 Suite.
- Being bilingual (English and French) is an asset.
Self-driven with strong presentation and communication skills. Superior leadership, analytical, problem-solving and judgment skills. Delivers consistent results in a target-driven environment and is genuinely invested in supporting others.
- Is a strong team player focused on expertise sharing and collaboration.
- Has strong quantitative modeling and analytical skills, and the ability to simplify complex concepts into business solutions and profitable user cases.
- Influences and encourages colleagues through a visible, open and “available” presence with the team. Maintains a high level of accessibility with employees across Strigo. Instills confidence and takes pride in mentoring employees.
- Demonstrates the ability to thrive in an agile and small team/start-up environment where testing and learning fast is required. Is able to work in a target-driven environment.
- Effectively communicates the value proposition in a concise manner through proposals and presentations. Has a proven ability to position products against competitors.
- Has financial acumen. Is able to manage a budget, develop business cases, track returns and understand data analytics.
- Is comfortable engaging with senior executives and sales teams.
- Has excellent verbal, written and presentation skills, including strong asset creation skills (typically in PowerPoint).
- Prior telecommunications and/or satcom experience is a strong asset.