IT Systems Engineer
The IT Systems Engineer will manage, monitor and upgrade our IT systems and infrastructure, including to analyze, install, modify and support operating systems, databases, and utilities software. The IT Systems Engineer plans, conducts and directs the analysis of business problems with automated systems solutions. This is a multi-disciplinary engineering role (technical and business) supporting the IT strategic and tactical efforts in the development of Strigo’s MSS satellite business. A detail-oriented IT Systems Engineer with proven trouble-shooting skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment is desired for this role.
The IT Systems Engineer is primarily responsible for setting up and maintaining computer systems. Their key duties include installing, testing and maintaining computer operating systems. He/She understands customer IT business requirements He/She will translate customer "needs/wants" into IT solutions and, along with other Strigo Team members, will shepherd those requirements through to support business development needs and delivery toward high customer satisfaction.
Job Level and Scope
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and IT the successful candidate is a key member of a cross-functional team that plays a critical role in supporting the evolution and deployment of building Strigo’s IT infrastructure across Canada.
The incumbent maintains and supports Strigo’s IT systems including: provision hardware and software, sets up accounts, resolves technical problems for end users, and enterprise application support. He/She maintains Strigo’s operational and administrative systems and assists in the resolution and escalation of technical problems of end users. Manages and maintains Windows, Active Directory, Office 365 and Exchange Online, maintains accurate records of all maintenance, inventory and security measures as it relates to IT equipment. Supports proprietary hardware and software while ensuring connectivity and support of related local area networks. Assists in the design, implementation, support and maintenance of company’s operational and administrative systems. Designs, administers and maintains system administration functions (backups, disaster recovery, security, documentation and performance monitoring). Test, document and support existing systems and assists in implementation of new systems. Responsible for new system deployment (planning, design, implementation, and documentation). Works with counterparts/vendors to ensure installed and new systems are in compliance with corporate standards and expectations. Coordinates with departments during installation and system modifications or repair. Create and maintain documentation on systems (hardware and software), work and process flows, as well as, development of daily process checklists and procedures.
Administer Linux and Mac environments. Install and configure new servers, workstations, and other IT equipment. Deliver projects end to end, including effective communication with customers and IT vendors. Lead and develop technology initiatives.
Functions and Responsibilities
IT Support & Management
- Contribute to defining the IT vision and roadmap to drive operational performances
- Interact with suppliers,and vendors for necessary IT support activities.
- Document activities, in textual, tabular and diagrammatic forms.
- Contribute to the overall IT roadmap and strategy
- Provide product IT technical support to business users (documentation, technical investigation, etc.)
IT System engineering and project management
- Deploy and manage business critical applications in Microsoft Azure cloud infrastructure
- Monitor all installed systems and infrastructure
- Collaborate with security to coordinate IT policies
- Develop and maintain documentation for supported applications, processes, and training material to internal employees and IT staff
- Participate in general IT operations.
- The IT Systems Engineer should lead by example and expertise, influencing team vision, behaviour, productivity, and professionalism.
- The position has no internal direct reports, but requires working as a partner with Strigo team members and external IT partners .
- The decision-making approach shall be based on supported facts and sound reasoning.
- The incumbent is accountable for IT systems engineering activities and associated action plan delivery in cooperation with the VP Finance & IT
- Contribute to the IT evolution based on business aligned strategy.
- Manage and optimize IT development activities (internally and externally with IT suppliers)
- Define and propose solutions to manage risks, technical difficulties and to achieve IT business objectives
Desired education and experience
- 5+ years of experience in IT
- 3+ years of experience in user support in a cloud-first modern IT environment
- Experience with security operations (i.e. SOC and SOC tools)
- Experience with identity and access management with Azure Active Directory
- Experience working with Microsoft Intune for modern device management
- Experience working with CI/CD tools, Git and Azure DevOps
- Hands-on experience working in Microsoft Azure and Office 365 environments
- Experience supporting Windows and Mac/Linux computers
Self-driven with strong communication skills. Demonstrated passion for IT and strong service acuman with a high level of technical skills. Delivers consistent results in a target-driven growth environment and is genuinely invested in building state-of-the-art IT infrastructure and strategies with a balance between cost, customer satisfaction, and performance.
- Strong team player focused on expertise-sharing and collaboration
- An excellent communicator in English and French.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to communicate and simplify complex IT concepts into business solutions
- Influences and encourages colleagues through visible, open and “available” presence with the team.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an agile, small team/start-up environment where test and learn fast is required.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills, including strong asset creation skills (typically in PowerPoint)
- Commitment to Quality Results
- Can propose trade-offs and provide risk assessment to stakeholders
- Proposes plans of action that are timely, realistic, and positive
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
- Attention to detail and can work independently